Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reducing Hours at Work?


For the last year I have had to work a lot of hours each week, with the minimal being around 45 the most 60. It has become normal to me, and I depend on the paycheck now. Well I found out today that the overtime will be eliminated for the store. This is devastating me so much. I am trying to buy a home, I have to take care of my son, and I have to pay bills. If my overtime was temporary, or short term, I would not depend on it so much. This will be a reduction of on average $50-$100 a week. Not such a small amount. I am having questionable thoughts about what I should do., and I am also losing some of my passion for my job.

I have been with this company, with the exception of my time off for an injury, for close to three years.  I am an assistant manager, but make very little hourly compared to what I have in the past. The place I work is like a family, and I love going to work. It is the corporate that is cutting back on everything. We have more than doubled our sales each month compared to where we were 12 to 24 months ago, and I do not feel as though they appreciate the people that bring the customers in and pay their incomes.

So what does my future hold? I have two more classes this fall to complete my associated degree in business management. Should I work a second job to make ends meet? I live in a rural area so finding something comparable may be difficult, or I may have to commute. Another option is to work even harder from home, or find a company that will allow me to do customer service or business management from home. Wow I am just at a loss at the moment. I need to find a way  to make up at lease $100 a week to be sure I can cover everything and provide for my son.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment